Saturday, March 11, 2017

Take Care of Your Coffee Maker!


How to Take Care of Your Coffee Maker and Get Great Tasting Coffee
How to Take Care of Your Coffee Maker and Get Great Tasting Coffee


Rinse and Dry Every Day!

In the bad old days, I was in a rush to get my coffee and go.  I would leave the wet coffee filter filled with wet coffee grounds in my coffee maker to deal with later.  I would empty as much coffee as I could get out of the pot, but I wouldn't bother to rinse it out before hitting the road.

Now, I have learned to take better care of my coffee maker.  I take a few seconds to empty the filter basket and give it a rinse right after making coffee.  I also rinse out the coffee pot.

Why not do these things right away until waiting until later?  A little bit of timely cleaning will reduce unwanted flavors and odors from stale coffee and coffee grounds from making their way into your coffee.

Not only do I rinse the filter basket and coffee pot right after making coffee, but I also store my equipment in a smart way.  I leave the top off of my coffee pot, and I leave my filter basket exposed a bit so it can dry thoroughly.  Here's a photo of how I leave my coffeemaker every day before I leave:


This Coffee Maker is Clean, Dry, and Ready to Make Great Coffee Next Time
This Coffee Maker is Clean, Dry, and Ready to Make Great Coffee Next Time


See how the carafe has the lid removed and the filter basked is slid out slightly?  This allows everything to dry out quickly to nip algae, fungus, and mold growth in the bud.

Monthly (or Quarterly) Cleaning with Descaling Solution

Another important routine maintenance item for your coffee maker is to clean it with vinegar or descaling solution about once every 1 to 6 months, depending on the harndess of your water.  I once lived in a house where the water was so hard that I had to clean my coffee maker every month, or the water flow rate would significantly decrease due to mineral build-up in the coffee maker.  After a couple months without cleaning, it would take 15 minutes to brew a pot of coffee!

At my current house, I need to clean my coffee maker every 3 months.  Be sure to clean your coffee maker occasionally to remove mineral deposits.  This will shorten your brew time and make your coffee taste better.  Here is my latest article about how to clean your coffee maker.




Copyright © 2017 Dr. Penny Pincher. All Rights Reserved. Coffee Maker Journal



No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Coffee Maker Journal Posts